Friday, July 31, 2009

A battle of Ego...Triumphed...

To become an engineer was never my dream and that too an electronics engineer was all a chance. I was adventurous since my childhood and I always considered myself as a tough guy. I always wanted to join Indian Army not because it would be the best way to serve the nation but also I could serve my inner soul. I appeared twice for the NDA exams but couldn’t make it and had to go by my dad’s wish to join an engineering college.

And as there was no self will, it got reflected into the first semester results. Nikhil, the guy who topped the charts was a son of an Army officer. I always tried to make friendship with him but myself being a defaulter and Nikhil little arrogant, it took some time. As some time passed I told him about my past dreams of joining Army. He jeered “How people who cannot even clear their papers can have so high dreams”. I was hurt and that even to the core. I didn’t say a word but moved from there.

Again by chance I got a point to prove myself. From second year of engineering we both were in different branches he in civil and me in Electronics. So there was no direct competition. Moreover I couldn’t ever overtake Nikhil as far as academics were concerned. Also in sports, Nikhil was always one step ahead.

But I never lost hope and kept myself going. In third year of engineering Indian Army came to college for placements under university entry scheme. Both of us appeared for it and got short listed for SSB. The date and venue was to be sent to us in due course by mail. I had to leave for my home town due to some critical problem in my house. I requested Nikhil to call me up soon he gets the SSB dates. On Sunday when I was returning for the college, I received the call from Nikhil. He said that he has reached Bangalore for the SSB which will start today. I got wrenched and couldn’t speak after that. All the hopes and desire to join Indian army went into trash.

In a week time, even Nikhil came back with empty hands. Days passed on and next year again Indian army came for the placements. Nikhil again appeared for it and this time he made it. I was too placed into DRDO. College got over and we moved on in our respective lives. In six months time my college mates decided for a get together. After such a long time we saw each other. I was feeling bit inferior since every one was giving all attention to him. At last the function got ever and I moved to the Railway station with my luggage. I saw him coming from the front smiling at me. Two Jawans were holding his luggage. For the first time I realized the royalty of an Army Officer. We departed for our respective destinations but the pain was there in my heart.

In DRDO I was involved in making an apparatus capable of sensing activities even happening at 5 Km range. And in the mean time War broke up with neighboring country. I was asked to visit the war place and demonstrate this to our army men. I was more than delighted to get this opportunity. When I reached there I found Nikhil in the troops who were to be trained. My demonstration gave them faith that they can win. In the battle field we showed lot of grit and resilience and finally we won. But we lost several of our Jawans including Nikhil. I saw 4 Jawans carrying his dead body. My eyes filled with the tears and my heart with respect for him. For the first time I realized the glory of an Army personnel. I felt proud to call myself his friend.

When I returned back, I had to fill the details of the work I carried out. I got stuck with a column “source of inspiration in the Warfield”. I wrote “Late Capt Nikhil”.

No comments:

Post a Comment