Wednesday, July 15, 2009

I am an Indian first

I am an Indian first

Last week I was travelling by train. One fellow passenger asked me about my permanent address.
PERMANENT ADDRESS….!!!.......I thought for a while….but couldn’t get an answer.
Often we need to fill permanent address in various forms. It often brings me in great dilemma. I always ask myself. Is there any PERMANENT ADDRESS?? And I never get a reply.
Recently one decent person called few people of this country as Bihari’s and asked them to move from his territory. He accused them for being Non-Marathi. This incident soon became a political drama and all the political parties made a big hue and cry to take the advantage of the situation. These incidents really sadden me. How can I say that I am not from the village I was born and not from the town I studied and not from the city that provided me my living. It is not possible for me to forget any place which has contributed so much to my life. All the places are equally close to my heart.
I was born and brought up in BIHAR. So for convenience I can call it my birth place. In my childhood I played in the soil of the fields. All the villagers used to treat me as dulara son. The sweetness of their love and affection is still with me. Even now when I go back to the village it seems the trees on which I played in my childhood have spread their limbs to welcome me.
I was brought to Bokaro Steel City, Jharkhand for my primary education. There in my school I was famous for my naughtiness. Every other day I could be spotted standing out of my class punished. How can I forget the cane of sharma sir which I was most afraid of . It is not possible for me to say that I don’t belong to this place which made me learn the meaning of basic education. In my Kendriya vidyalaya days as a part of “Teach the Kids in rural areas” campaign I went to Orissa. In a small village Chilpuda in Jharsuguda district, children had never seen a teacher. I stayed there for two weeks . How can I forget them calling me “Master Saheb” in their fainted voice? The villagers see me with respect and often bring some species of fruits I had never tasted before. I can never forget those white berries an old man brought for me as his regard. I would feel proud to say that I belong to this place.
How can I deprive myself from saying that I don’t belong to Sangli, Maharashtra where I spent four years of my engineering life. It is the place which gave meaning to my existence. It is the place where I shaped my career. The sweetness of sugarcanes and grapes from the fields near my college campus is still with me. The peasants used to offer us whenever we go there. In my college I was part of Rotary Club and for General Awareness regarding Cleanliness I went to Margaon, Goa. In a very short span of three days it became an integral part of my life. I found there so nice and humble people. They listened to us carefully and pledged to spread the awareness to others.
Karnataka has got always a special place in my heart. I was in Mysore and Bangalore for few months. I got my love at this place that I can never forget. Though she is no longer with me but this place made me learn different aspects of life. Someone picked my pocket at bus stand in Mysore. How rest of the passengers helped me out will be memorable to me throughout the life.
For official reasons I had been to Hyderabad, Pune. I am all obliged to the people of these places who were so nice to me and never let me felt out. These people made me realize that I belong to them. I belong to each and every place of India. All these places whether it is Bihar, Maharashtra, U.P, Karnataka… are integral part of India. All these places made me understand our culture and heritage in their very special way. These places made me understand the meaning of “Unity in Diversity”. All these places contributed some Indianness in me.
Finally I got my answer…….that even so loud………
I am an Indian first.

2 comments:

  1. its really vry nice vikas...dont knw y dis marathi -non marathi goining on...even me too have vry good exp wen i was travelling frm nasik to pune..and i lost my all original academic-certificates..but i got dat..due to vry kind person's help...somehow..sometime ..sumthing makes u feel dat u r surrounded by..the grace of God...nd then ..these people ...these incident..strikes dat there is a thing in everyone wich is above to all....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Viki,
    even I also had a bad experience when I started my career; I was asked to do the job works in master/slave manner in initial days but later the situation got reversed -:)

    -Saurabh
    Bangalore

    ReplyDelete