Friday, August 7, 2009

Sometimes losing is everything.

Being Successful doesn't mean being satisfied...Success and Satisfaction are oxymoron at times. Sometimes only winning is important and not the way in which it is being achieved. Sacrifices lose value and the passion to win becomes the only objective. And so we die to win.
But, something happened to me recently, which forced me to believe that sometimes winning is not everything.

Sometimes losing is everything.


I had always wanted to start my own firm. I could never work under anyone. Because, for me I am the Boss and I can never take any orders from anyone. I don’t know when I developed this sort of feelings but it is there since I was a school going kid.
I always wanted to be at the supreme position of any organization and the easiest way was to start a firm of your own. But this was not easy at all, I had to make many sacrifices in life and here I am the chairperson of Groupwell advertising Ltd.

I was going through the emails of our clients and suddenly stuck on a mail from Mehta &Sons Ltd. Last week only we had given demo & quotation copy to them.
I thought it must be a confirmation mail from their side for the billing but to my disappointment it was rather a notification that they are giving their advertising rights to Shalini Advrt. Group. I was all stunned. We had already spent so much efforts and money into this project. I will not let it go like this.

I called up my legal consultant and asked him to look into this and to update me ASAP. In an hour I received a mail from Mrs Shalini Mathur, the managing director of our rival group. She had requested for a meeting with me. Generally I don’t entertain such mails but I didn’t know why I not only replied positively but also agreed to meet her in her company. Perhaps some force was driving me from behind.

In no time I reached her company entrance. I was about to go inside but suddenly I saw someone whom I can recognize even after 100 years. The receptionist was she…Farina…I was all amused. Oh my God after fourteen years I was seeing her. I never expected that I would see her as a receptionist. We were in the same class. She was probably the brightest student of my class and I always knew she would do something bigger in her life.
I could remember the last day when we met before I left for Mumbai for my higher education. Her eyes were moist and heart was crying. How I consoled her saying I wanted to grow, prosper do something extra ordinary. I need to focus on my career. Forget everything what was there between us. May be I could return but for now forget it completely. Moreover we are from different religions and I have neither the guts nor time to put this up in front of our parents. That very evening I came down to Mumbai to pursue higher education. After that everything changed and I forgot everything it as if no Farina was there in my life.

I called Mrs. Mathur and apologized that I am not feeling well so would meet her tomorrow.
I went to her with a heavy heart and greeted her. She was equally shocked to see me. She asked me the purpose of my visit but I gave an excuse. She took me to the cafeteria and we had coffee together. She used to be a sport in college days but here she seemed to be so sad. In an hour we talked very little, looked at each other and cried. She said she is still in contact with Rakshita who was our mutual friend. I took the contact number of Rakshita and promised that definitely I will call her up.

In the night I called Rakshita. Then I came to know how Farina fell in love with a Hindu boy. Then she got married with him against her parents wish. Both have been excluded from their family. He is still unemployed and often beats her up.
She is working somewhere as a receptionist since she couldn’t continue her education due to marriage.

I was feeling very sorry for her. I felt she missed my absence so much that she tried to fill it by Rakesh. And unfortunately he ruined her life. I knew I was responsible for it by some way or the other.

I called Mrs. Mathur in my office to sort out the things. She gave me No objection papers and pleaded me not to file any case against Mehta’s as this project is very important to them. This one can revive their ailing business and save from bankruptcy. I didn’t give her any words but assured for a discussion with my team.

It was very tough for me to decide what to do. All the hopes of my employees and their efforts were at stake. Above all my winning attitude was looking at me with jeer. On the other hand her job was at stake. I could offer her a job in my office but she will never accept I knew. It was the time for penance.

I signed on the NOC papers and sighed. Even after winning so many things I have never felt so relaxed in my whole life what I experienced after losing this one. This was an eternal satisfaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment