Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Girl Next to me

Few things are destined to happen. And sometimes they are beyond our control. So I always go with the philosophy “Whatever happens, happen for good”.
Yesterday I was quite overloaded with work. “It is impossible to wrap up the pending work in next half an hour. I am definitely going to miss the bus” I said to myself. I gave up all the hope and decided to go home only after finishing the work left. I guess I could have completed the task if this thought wouldn’t have come in my mind. A human mind is like that only. The biggest obstacle lies only when we keep our eye off the goal. Somehow I was trying to keep myself focused on work but every now and then my eyes were frowning to the clock. People either give their best under pressure or break. The later part happened in my case. I got up from my seat and rushed towards the bus. I didn’t even think what I will say to my lead if he will ask tomorrow. My feet were moving steadily towards the bus.
I got into the bus but to my astonishment Not a single seat was vacant. I got down and took the other one. Even it was full. My destiny was riding me somewhere else. Finally I took the third one. To my relief I saw a seat vacant. I rushed towards it as if it was food and I was starving from years. I even didn’t bother to look if any other seat was vacant or who is sitting next to me. When I was going towards the seat I found Nishi in the next seat. Even she looked up at the same time and we had an eye contact. She got uncomfortable and so was I. I didn’t know what to do and in all this mess up I sat just next to her. I completely missed the vacant seat which was next to it. She had also noticed that. I was afraid what she must be thinking of me. She will take it as a deliberate act of mine. I noticed her face.she was getting pale. Totally embarrassed she was looking here and there.
I totally lost into my old memories of the AMEX days. We were in the same floor though different Projects.I was thoroughly disgusted with the idea of going into an ODC. I had heard a lot about ODC‘s being jail. No access to communicators, outlook etc. But soon I entered the ODC premises; all my ill feelings got vanished. I saw someone who was definitely not the most beautiful but the serenity of her face was extreme. I was spell bound to see such a wonderful creation of God. She was above par simple and sober.
Days followed on. Even I got busy in my project. But still I always find out ways of going near her cubicle to have a glance of her. Even a peep used to give me immense joy. My Gang in project was all sport. Soon they traced out my feelings for her. They all were very supportive throughout this one sided love saga. All the hiccups what was happening, even she was not a dumb, she sensed it all. When I sent friend request on IM, she declined it gracefully.One day while we were returning from lunch, she was reading newspaper all alone. “You won’t get a better than this chance to show your emotions” Sandy hissed. Rest supported him. Before I could say anything someone pushed me from behind towards her. I was totally in shock since she was sitting next to me. I mumbled “Hi! Anything new in the newspaper??” She was equally stunned. Before she could reply I said sorry and moved from there. I didn’t know why I behaved like that. I was in complete panic. I knew I messed up everything. The very next day I had to go to my home city. I was regretting why I did that foolishness. At least I could have waited till I will return from home. My stay at home could be much better if I would have taken the sweet memories of her with me. But it was other way round. When I returned back, my eyes were looking for her. But she was no more there. I asked my friends about her. Kash grinned “I have not seen her from last one week. She might have been released from the project”. All my regret went off. I was satisfied at least I spoke to her that day though one-sided again, but from so close. But I was unhappy from my heart. Days passed then months.

“Excuse me…Excuse me…Vikas...… Vikas Please give me way to go. I need to get down” This familiar voice wakened me up from my day dream. I said sorry and slightly moved from my seat. Gently she said thanks and got down at her stop.
I was cursing myself “you useless fellow…again you missed this chance…you were day dreaming when you should be talking to her...You are a big time loser…you understand Mr. vikas kumar..You are a big time loser…” I felt gloomy. But all of a sudden one thought passed by my mind. It took all the misery from my mind. I felt relieved. Hey she still remembers your name….In all those happiness I got down from the bus way behind my stop. But I was not regretting this time.
I rehearsed again “Whatever happens, happen for good”.

No comments:

Post a Comment