Monday, September 7, 2009

She.....

She.....

POOoooooooooooo….n…… the whistle of train generally excites those who are outside it. But I was inside lying on my berth waiting desperately for Pune station to come. I had finished two books already and was in no mood to go for the third one. The excitement of coming back to Pune for awhile was enthralling me. In fact it was going to be a very brief visit but still in few next moments I would be at the place where I spent my most of the young life perhaps the advent of my JAWANIHOOD.I had to just get some papers verified and attested from my Last company. My stay was arranged in company campus only. I had decided that I will stay for a night only.
Soon the train reached at Pune Station. It was a pleasant evening. I rushed for a taxi and asked him to go to Hinjewadi. Then I poured myself in whirlpool of old memories of this place. Suddenly when I broke out of it, we were somewhat near Wakad where I stayed for more than two years with two of my best friends. Out of my astonishment I got down at that crossroad where one very life impacting incident of my Life happened few years back.I never knew before this happened that sometimes what just starts with a prank can turn to be so devastating. I couldn’t stop myself from blaming myself for all that what happenend that night. I ruined my dear friend's life...I sighed within myself.
I saw three guys coming from a distance. All the faces seemed to be familiar. I could recognize them.. Hey it was me (Akash) with Siddhartha (Sid) and Samir (Sam).
I could hear what they were discussing.


Sam was prompting something to Sid. “Hey Sid, we want to gift you something on your birthday. If you are ready for that , well and good else don’t ask for any other gift”. I too nodded “This is the time to fulfill your wishes man. Some time down the line, you will get married and lose your freedom. So better enjoy your singlehood.” I grinned. I pointed to the T shirt Sam was wearing. The punch line written on it was “I am still single but this time with experience”. Sam chuckled” If you want I can get one for you tonight”.
Sid didn’t say anything just moved from his place. I knew Sid is a fattoo. It is not his cup of tea. He will never agree on this. But we never know what could be his reaction as we are so unsure about his mood. Suddenly He said “OK!!! I am ready. But now you are trapped. You big ass. Go and arrange a girl for me tonight as my birthday gift. If you cannot, I am going to bump your head”. Saying this he left for home.
I was stunned. So as Sam was. No one expected this from our cool customer Sid. But now this has turned to be a matter of ego. I was clueless about how Sam is going to keep his promise. I just knew that I have to share the half of the expenses whatever it is. I was angry within but couldn’t do much as I was also half responsible for it. I looked at Sam’s face. He was panicked but was trying to hide all his emotions. “I know one medical shop here. I guess the shop keeper can help. He must have some idea I feel. He was talking regarding this to someone last Sunday when I visited him”.
“I am not a part of this. I screamed. I don’t care for your promise or ego whatever. I don’t want to get crushed publicly” I said terrified. But Sam pleaded “Don’t leave me like this man. You simply can’t. Just stay with me. Don’t do anything. I will take care of everything.” OK..I agreed. I was sure Sam has no guts to do this. But I accompanied him.
He went towards the Shop. I was watching him from a distance. But he returned halfway. I smiled at him and said Lets go back and play cards at home. “No yaar few guys are there. Let them move from there”.
He was moving to and fro like a pendulum. I was excited from within just wanted to see the outcome of the whole episode. Moreover deep inside I was frightened. I guess we stayed there looking at shop for more than an hour. I looked at my watch. It was showing 10:00PM. I said “I am leaving. All the best you carry on your expedition”. I rushed towards our home. Sam too followed me.
Very soon he caught me and yelled out “You coward!!! Don’t show your face again”. I was walking steadily. Suddenly a harsh voice asked us to stop from behind. We looked back. A guy of age 27-28 was there. He came closer and muttered “I saw you at the shop discussing something for a long time. Can I help you?” I said “No. Thanks” and moved forward. After some time I realized Sam is not walking along me. I turned back to see what happened. I saw him talking to that guy. Soon he came to me. He was looking relieved. I asked what happened. He laughed loudly “That guy was an agent. My part DONE. Now I will see what guts Sid has”. While we were returning a black cat crossed the road ahead of us. It was a bad omen. I was too afraid to say anything. Still I said “Stop It. Here itself and close the deal.” But Sam was adamant.

We entered the house. Sid was watching the movie “DIL CHAHTA HAI”. Sam ecstatically said “I have arranged a bride for you for tonight. Enjoy your Birthday Gift. She will be coming in few minutes”. Sid got fainted at this but controlled himself and said” You morons move from here. I will tackle everything”. Suddenly the door bell rang. We two rushed to upstairs and seized ourselves in my room.

Next morning when we got up, it was already 11 am. Sid was not there downstairs. We searched the entire house. But we didn’t find him. The day passed and in the evening around 7, I with Sam went to have some tea at the chowk. We saw Sid coming from a distance. He was enthralled even he hugged Sam. I was clueless wondering what happened to this guy.
Sid started “The girl’s name is Shalini. She is very good girl. So enthusiastic and refreshing. I was with her for entire day. We roamed around throughout the city.” Sam interrupted in between “Did anything happen last night you dumb” couldn’t control his excitement. Sid said “No. I took her back home. But I met her today morning and we hanged around together. I don’t know but I guess I have developed some feelings for her.”
“What rubbish feelings!!! Are you sick??” I nearly screamed at him. Sam was equally amused “ Have you gone nuts!!! Think of the girl you are planning to settle with..She is a bloody…I simply can’t accept this”.
But I guess there was no impact of all this on Sid. He was adamant as always. Nevertheless we were much bothered about his parents.
Sid tried to convince us “Look guys!!! I was with her for entire day. I know how tough it is to lead life at her place. She is not doing all this with her will. She is forced to do all this as her younger brother is in Hospital undergoing a treatment for blood cancer. Now I will handle everything. Just do me a favor. You guys please don’t tell my parents about all this. When the right time will come I will tell them myself.” We were astonished by the guts of this chap. I guess sometimes for a man, his reputation is everything. That’s why we stopped talking to Sid for a while. It was a clear indication that he has to either choose her or us. Days followed on and he kept meeting her.
But finally this has to come to an end. Sam called Sid’s parents and bitched everything. Of course I was with him in this holy act of his. They were shocked after hearing this. His Dad showed up next morning. He locked himself in a room with Sid. After few minutes Sid came out crying “ My mom is ill. I have to go back to my place at the earliest.” Both of them left in the afternoon.
Days passed on. We were waiting for Sid to come back. But neither he nor his phone came. I was afraid if he will ever show up. One day his resignation letter came. I was shocked and so was Sam. We had lost our dear friend. I didn’t know whether we should regret or what. But a burden was there in back of my mind. We were missing him. Suddenly one fine day I got opportunity to go Onsite for a project running out of Australia. I restarted my life from there leaving behind all the miseries. Time passed on and then I travelled various places across the globe. Sam also moved to United states for higher education and got settled there. But still no clue of Sid. What happened to him. Where is he? How is he? No idea at all.

“Eiiii…..” suddenly I came out of my dream by this noise. Probably it came out of that car when it applied its brakes. I saw the indicators turning on and off. The car owner was on call as the car was on halt. Still the indicators were on. I was bit surprised at this but neglected it. All of a sudden I saw a lady inching towards that car. Alas it was she..SHALINI…
All of a sudden all the burden on my head went off. I was now much relieved and I sighed “I saved him. I saved my dear friend.” I got up and left for my destination.

1 comment:

  1. Yaar, bahut mast likhi hai;

    One suggestion:
    you can put some numbers in front of paragraphs without those para the story can not be completed.

    Do keep writing
    -Saurabh
    Bangalore

    ReplyDelete